Skills to Prevent Relapse Early
Relapse is a gradual process that begins weeks, sometimes months before an individual picks up a drink or drug.
Relapse is a process and can be interrupted before a return to active addiction. There are three stages to relapse: emotional, mental, and physical. The common denominator is poor self-care. If individuals do not practice sufficient self-care, eventually they will start to feel uncomfortable in their own skin and look for ways to escape, relax, or reward themselves.
Relapse Prevention Therapy (RPT)
Important Strategies for Recovery:
- To understand relapse as a process
- To identify and cope effectively with high-risk situations
- To cope with urges and cravings
- To implement ‘damage control’ procedures during a lapse, to minimize negative consequences
- To stay engaged in treatment, after a relapse
- To create a balanced lifestyle